As winter quickly approaches and the weather changes, it is time to start thinking about making sure that you are safe on the road during your holiday travels. While you want to make sure you have the best Comprehensive Auto Insurance available, there are a few simple winter driving tips you should be sure to follow.
- Make sure tires are not worn and are properly inflated.
- Keep gas tank half full to prevent freezing.
- Avoid using the parking brake while driving as it locks up tires.
- Never use cruise control when road is wet or icy.
- Make sure vehicle is in proper working condition including brakes and lights.
- Do not warm up your vehicle in an enclosed space.
- Check out weather reports before hitting the road on long trips. Consider delaying a trip if severe weather is expected.
- Make sure you have emergency contact numbers for the area you are traveling to and make sure your cell phone is charged for use.
- Keep emergency safety supplies including blankets, water, food and any medications inside the cab of your vehicle. In the event you get snowbound you will need these items at hand rather than trying to dig them out of the trunk.
Driving in Snow
- Accelerate and decelerate slowly. When the roads are wet and icy they become slippery making it more likely to spin out if changing speeds too quickly.
- Know what kind of brakes you have (antilock or not). When braking apply steady, firm pressure. Avoid stopping completely if possible. Starting from a slight roll is easier on the vehicle than starting from a complete stop.
- Try not to power up hills, get a little speed and let inertia carry you up the hill. Do not stop going uphill.
- Stay with your vehicle.
- Tie a brightly colored cloth to your antenna or hang one out the closed up window to allow rescue crews to locate you easier.
- Make sure the exhaust pipe is not covered by snow to avoid carbon monoxide buildup.
- Only run the engine for short periods. Just long enough to remove the chill but conserve gas.
At Capital Insurance Group, we understand the importance of your safety during the winter weather changes in driving conditions. Call us today for more information on our comprehensive auto insurance policies. 888.296.0418