When considering car ownership, there are a lot of financial factors to take into consideration. In addition to purchasing the right Michigan Auto Insurance policy, you’ll want to keep other costs in mind, such as gasoline prices and maintenance. Here are just a few ways you can start saving on car costs so that you can use your money for more enjoyable things.
When buying a car:
- Consider smaller models. They are often cheaper and get better gas mileage because they are lighter weight. According to sources from financialplan.about.com, this could potentially save you $400-600 a year.
- Keep your car longer instead of trading it in every few years. Not only does the cost of new cars rise each year, but cars depreciate quickly. So if you trade frequently, you lose money on low trade-in values.
- Be wary of purchasing service contracts or extended warranties. Many of them have very limited coverage and they cost more than policies purchased directly from warranty providers.
Maintaining your car:
- Get tune-ups when needed.
- Change your oil and oil filter every 3,000 miles, regardless of how often your owner’s manual recommends.
- Check your car’s air filter monthly.
- Don’t use a higher octane gas that your owner’s manual recommends, unless your car is knocking and pinging.
- Check your fluid levels regularly.
These are just some of the ways you can save on your car costs. You’ll also be able to save on insurance costs by buying the right type of car and being a safe driver. At Capital Insurance Group, we specialize in helping our personal clients cover personal automobiles against unforeseen damages and injuries. Please contact us today for more information at 888.296.0418.